Do you remember starting back to school each fall and writing the first essay about "What I did on Summer Vacation"? Here's what I did/am doing/want to keep doing more and more forever and ever...
Here we are in January! That must mean that we made it through the election, Thanksgiving, December holidays (whatever those are for you), and New Years celebrations. You might be feeling ready for a fresh start, invigorated toward new health, work, or family goals. Whatever your personal experience of the last two and a half months has been, I'm sure you won't be surprised to learn that for many folks stress levels are running pretty high. Many of my patients and friends are concerned about the current political tenor, wondering (and imagining) what will be coming down the pike. Living with an impending sense of doom and hyper-vigilance. For lots of folks the holidays bring up family tensions that have simmered under the surface and pop up when everyone is together. Especially when our expectations are high and communication skills are low- things can ratchet up in intensity pretty quickly! This year I experienced some pretty emotionally charged and stressful moments with family members while we were all together for Christmas. When debriefing with my husband afterward he shared how astounded he was at the calm, loving, yet direct way I was able to communicate- saying some really difficult things. My "normal" response to family conflict is to freeze- unable to think of what I would say-only later realizing what I wish I had been able to say at the time. The difficult discussions we had this year were remarkably well received. I didn't freeze like normal. I was able to "access" my neocortex- the cognitive part of my brain-because I wasn't stuck in survival mode. I was able to be articulate, firm, yet loving and compassionate. And the result was real communication! As we reflected on this, I realized that I can credit my regular TRE® practice with my new found ability to stay grounded and present during an emotionally charged discussion. I am incredibly grateful to be able to deepen my relationships with my loved ones.
My wish is that as we move into emotionally AND politically charged times ahead that we can each do our own work to stay grounded and present with ourselves so that we can HAVE difficult conversations without losing our ability to listen with compassion and love.
TRE® practice is not the only way to get there, but it really works, and I'm thrilled to share it with you. Learning how to invite a Therapeutic Tremor into your body releases long held patterns of tension and stress and can restore your personal sense of safety, calm, and grounding so that you can access your best self when things get challenging. If you are interested in learning TRE®, expect to schedule 3 one-on-one sessions with me at a minimum, and I will help you find your path to feeling more calm, more grounded, and less reactive!
I was delighted to have this message on my phone after just ONE session of TRE® with this person. They were under a great deal of stress and uncertainty regarding finances, housing, and finding a job.
This is the transcript of the voice mail:
"Hi this is _____,
I just wanted to let you know that I went to kundalini practice with gong meditation after I came to see you. I felt amazing! and I did a LOT of twitching in savasana. And then I woke up yesterday and I felt so calm and balanced and back in my body. Just centered. It was really great and felt amazing.
I had a pretty busy day and in the midst of it I took a nap; and boy I was just twitching like crazy! But one of the big things I noticed (especially during the kundalini practice) after I'd had those diaphragmatic releases (during TRE®), was my ability to breath more deeply. Like a lot more deeply.
And the last few days I have just felt so good! Relaxed, happy, in my best space. I got the job that I went to interview for!
Everything has just felt really like “ahhhhh." Like that constriction has really released. It was amazing! That was an amazing experience!
It was so subtle. I felt really loved, and supported, and cared about, which was nice. And on top of it it was that extra bit of , “wow, something really actually shifted! “
I am just in an immense amount of gratitude at this moment. I just really want you to know that that was a real genuine healing experience for me, and it has dramatically improved my quality of life. I just wanted to tell you thank you. I look forward to see you again. Thank you!"
TRE® is such a gift to offer my patients. It can be a key to unlocking and fully accessing your own energy, clarity, and emotional resiliency.
Everyone needs strategies for dealing with stress! (I'll be glad when this election season is over!) TRE® is one of the best ways I know to release stress from the body and restore equilibrium to the nervous system.
Benefits can include:
- Reduced musculoskeletal pain
- Better Sleep
- Feeling more "grounded"
- Less social anxiety
- Getting hired for your dream job because you were confident, comfortable, and grounded during your interview!
Learn TRE® from me in my office or come to the Oregon Coast Oct 21,22,23 for Yes, This! Wellness Retreat.
If you would like to find your own calm, relaxed, happy place, come learn TRE® with me at the Yes, This! Wellness Retreat October 21,22,23 in Nehalem Oregon.
Listen to this fun interview I did recently (9-30-16) with my retreat co-facilitator, Lisa Levine from Audacious Wellness!
Astragalus- immune stimulating (increases macrophages and natural killer cells) and adrenal tonic. great for anyone with spleen qi deficiency, supports good digestion. Very safe, mildly sweet flavor, overall tonifying.
Burdock root- Liver tonic, blood cleanser, alterative. Mildly bitter and therefore stimulating to the digestive system. Historically used for hormone balancing and skin conditions.
Dandelion Root- Alterative, liver tonic, nutritive. Wonderful for detoxification and elimination processes.
Licorice Root-Anti viral, immune modulating, adrenal tonic. Sweet flavor. Used to treat colds, coughs, stomach upset, chronic fatigue. (caution in high doses if you have high blood pressure)
Codonopsis – Also known as Dangshen, or poor man’s ginseng. Used to increase resistance to stress, increase energy, modulate immune response (increase response in cancer, decrease in autoimmune conditions).
Ginger- potent anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anticancer, carminative (good for nausea, gas, dyspepsia). Warming.
Cinnamon-wow, a powerhouse of health benefits! Anti-inflammatory (great for arthritis pain and menstrual cramps), antimicrobial, promotes healthy blood sugar and insulin sensitivity, can promote healthy cholesterol levels. Warming and delicious!
Black Peppercorns- Helps with digestion, is antioxidant and antimicrobial.
Cloves-Pain relief, high in antioxidants, antibacterial, digestive stimulant.
The amount of herbs pictured (I’m bad about measuring things, but you can see it’s a tablespoon or two of each herb) made one gallon of chai. Simmer the herbs for 45 minutes to an hour, add black tea and steep for 4 minutes. Strain. You can keep this mixture in the fridge for a week, heating up one cup at a time. Add cream and honey to taste. You might not need to add any honey as some of the herbs are quite sweet.
I recommend drinking super tonic chai daily to build strong adrenals, and keep your immune system healthy!
Join Veronica Brown and Louise Rose, ND, for a unique one day mini retreat combining Naturopathic medicine and Kundalini yoga as a catalyst for healing. Come to enhance your clarity, purpose, and vitality; bring more resilience to daily stress, doubts and fears. Restore the harmony of body, mind, and spirit by removing obstacles that block one's path to serenity.
Celebrate the healing power we ALL possess in a fun and relaxed atmosphere! All fitness levels welcome!
Our day includes:
- Kundalini Yoga (Yoga of Awareness) activates a healthy body and balanced mind, while increasing your energy and radiance. Through postures, mantras, and meditation Kundalini Yoga strengthens the immune system and the ability to recognize the causes of negative emotions.
- Experience inspired bodywork, essential oils, and supercharged nutrition to help soothe frayed nerves, release blocks, and restore balance.
- Learn from a Naturopathic Doctor how to harness the power of your body to work for you. Blossom into your potential.
- Tools to create lasting change. Many retreats offer a heavenly experience and then it's "back to the grind." We provide you a heavenly experience AND tangible self-care techniques to take with you.
- Veronica BrownYoga Instructor and Healing Bodywork. Internationally renowned in the healing arts, Veronica Brown has been a certified yoga instructor for over 20 years. A Reiki Master and Harmonium Healer (energy work), her practice also includes Sports Massage, Thai Yogassage, reflexology and remote healing. Using her intuitive healing gifts, Veronica locates and dissolves stress, thereby activating the natural healing process. Veronica has taught Kundalini yoga over 15 years, for private clients, workshops and at Angel City Yoga in L.A. Many of her students are now successful teachers. Clients that have experienced Veronica’s healing magic include: Demi Moore and family, Christina Aguilera, Annie Lennox, Dave Stewart (Eurythmics), Ariana Huffington, Mick Jagger, Kanye West, Rivers Cuomo (Weezer) and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, with whom she tours regularly. A native Montanan, Veronica divides her time between her practice in Venice Beach,CA, Montana, traveling for clients and conducting yoga retreats.
What Veronica's clients are saying:
- • “The best cure for what ails you is Veronica Brown!“ Dave Stewart (Rolling Stone Magazine)
- • “I went through a traumatic experience and with Veronica’s healing I had a successful recovery for which I am grateful. VB is no ordinary therapist. She doesn’t look at the body/mind/soul as separate pieces. Instinctively she sees everything as a whole. Therefore after a session with her, you feel healed- not only physically but also spiritually rejuvenated.” Dave Stewart, (Eurythmics)
- • “Veronica Brown is a conductor of rejuvenation for the human experience. She helped me reach my potential while on tour in ways that were not possible without her. I will always be grateful for time spent working with her. Because of Veronica we’re ending healthier than we started. Veronica truly exorcised my demons!” Anthony Kiedis, Red Hot Chili Peppers
- • “Everybody has different things that keep them together… we have Veronica!” Flea, Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Dr. Louise RoseNaturopathic medicine is the past and the future of health care. The current model of medicine focuses on disease, pathology and symptom management. Dr. Rose’s patients learn to become stewards of their own health, restore life’s natural rhythms, practice self care, and reconnect with their birthright of vitality and aliveness.
25 years of experience as a whole foods chef informs Dr. Rose’s nutritional philosophy that food is our first medicine for building a foundation of health.
One of Dr. Rose’s passions is her love for the therapeutic power of water. The roots of Naturopathic medicine emerge from the European water cure traditions. Central to Rose Cabinet Medicine are the sauna, cold plunge, and tepidarium where patients come for renewal and to rediscover what wellness feels like. Dr. Rose is a graduate of the National College of Natural Medicine in Portland Oregon. Other therapies that she is trained in include; Botanical Medicine including extensive training with essential oil therapies, Homeopathy, Shiatsu Massage, Cranial Sacral Therapy, Biotherapeutic Drainage, Gemmotherapy, and LENS (Low Energy Neurofeedback System).
- (after working with Dr. Rose) I arrived at a new sense of peace and well-being. My mind had space for quiet and stillness; my body more easily settled into a place of peace and comfort; my spirit lit up the from inside out. While life still happened, I found a greater capacity to cope with the challenges; the lessons learned and the renewal experienced have lasted me through a season. Thank you Dr. Rose! Sharon Chinn
- I simply can't remember the last time I felt so cared for. Brought tears to my eyes. Sandy Keiter
Are there ID requirements or an age limit to enter the event?
Not appropriate for young children, but mature teens and adults are welcome!
What can/can't I bring to the event?
Bring a yoga mat, water bottle, pen and paper. Bring a pillow or bolster for comfortable sitting during lecture times. Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for yoga practice.
Will there be food provided?
We will have supercharged nutritious snacks.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Contact Dr. Rose at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-308-8608
Who took that amazing photo of the light splitting the trees?
Thank you to Corky Miller for the photograph. To see more of his work go to his blog